According to Variety, Fox has officially enlisted seven cast members for its upcoming lifeguard drama series titled Rescue: Hi Surf.
Robbie Magasiva (Bad Behaviour), Arielle Kebbel (John Tucker Must Die), Adam Demos (Sex / Life), Kekoa Kekumano (The White Lotus), Alex Aiono (Doogie Kameāloha M.D), and Zoe Cipres (Roswell, New Mexico) have been tapped as series regulars for Rescue: Hi Surf. Meanwhile, Arrow alum Sea Shimooka has been cast for the recurring role of a big wave surfer and EMT named Jenn.
Who are the main characters of Rescue: Hi Surf?
Listed below are the main cast’s full character descriptions:
- Magasiva’s Sonny Jennings — is a surfer, waterman, and North Shore lifeguard captain with deep ties to his community and an iron clad commitment to his team of heavy water first responders. A charismatic leader who inspires courage and loyalty, Sonny’s grief over his nephew’s death threatens to cost him the job and team he loves.
- Kebbel’s Emily Wright — In a lifeguard force that is 90% male, Em is still the best. A true maverick, EM is the first female lieutenant in Ocean Safety history, an accomplished surfer and record setting paddler who has her sights set on the captain’s job, a position currently held by Sonny, her struggling mentor and friend.
- Demos’ Will Ready — is an Aussie surfer and certified lifesaver since his nipper days at the local board riders club, WILL came to the North Shore to challenge himself and stayed. Good-natured and loyal, WILL’s blue-collar work ethic and incomparable fitness means he’s game to tackle any situation the ocean throws at him.
- Kekumano’s Laka Hanonhano — Confident, competent, and hilarious, Laka is an uber-fit Native Hawaiian lifeguard from Honolulu who patrols the busy North Shore beaches with a style all his own. Fearless in the ocean and never afraid of a good time, Laka loves his job and the lifestyle that comes with it.
- Aiono’s Kainalu — Cocky and competitive, sweet but stubborn, Kainalu was born into privilege in an upscale neighborhood just outside Honolulu. With a politician father who’s on the rise, Kainalu is defying lots of expectations (like finishing college) to be a rookie North Shore lifeguard.
- Cipres’ Hina — is a Rookie North Shore lifeguard from a large, working-class Hawaiian family. Smart, sassy, fiercely competitive. Top of her training class, concerned with how to balance her professional duties (and the fishbowl of being one of only a dozen women on the job) with her deep love for her family and community.
Rescue: Hi Surf is executive produced by showrunner Matt Kester and John Wells, Erin Jontow, and Daniele Nathanson, with Wells serving as the director for the first two episodes. It hails from Warner Bros. Television and Fox Entertainment.
“The series follows the personal and professional lives of the heavy-water lifeguards who patrol and protect the North Shore of O’ahu—the most famous and dangerous stretch of coastline in the world,” reads the logline. “Each episode will feature these dedicated, heroic, and adrenaline-seeking first-responders saving lives in the difficult and often life-threatening conditions of Hawaii’s Seven Mile Miracle.”